"High Spirits is my weekly "high" — I forget everything else and just enjoy singing and the camaraderie of fellow singers. I love the wide range of our repertoire and that each season adds something new and sometimes challenging."
Interested in joining?
We're inviting new singers for our Spring 2018 season starting February 14th.
We are a diverse group of experienced choral singers. High Spirits is open to new members who have choral music experience and want to sing a challenging but fun repetoire from a variety of genres. We welcome new members regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Checklist for Potential Members
If most of these statements fit you, High Spirits may be the choir you’re looking for!
- I love to sing, and have good choral experience.
- I can read music or can learn quickly with a recording of my part.
- I like interesting rhythms and singing in other languages.
- I am willing to spend some time rehearsing on my own.
- I do not want a formal audition in order to join a choir.
- I am looking to join a group of enthusiastic, welcoming fellow musicians.
- Good choral experience is necessary in High Spirits, as we perform in four-part harmony (soprano/alto/tenor/bass), and depending on the arrangement, we may sing up to eight or more parts.
- You must be able to commit to attending rehearsals every Wednesday from 7:00 to 9:30 pm from September to January for our fall season, and February to June for our spring season. Rehearsals are in the community hall of St. Peter's Estonian Lutheran Church, 6520 Oak Street, Vancouver (Oak & 49th).
- Singers are expected to attend three section practices each term, which are 1 ½ hours, on a weekend.
- Each season, High Spirits brings in a choral clinician/mentor for an all-day Saturday workshop to help us polish our songs and improve our voices - it is expected that all singers will attend these workshops.
- It is expected that singers will practice their songs between rehearsals, to minimize the amount of "note bashing" we need to do. Mp3 files for each section are posted on the website.
High Spirits welcomes new singers at the beginning of September and February. We do not audition; however, all interested singers must participate in a telephone interview. After the interview, potential members may then be invited to sing with the choir for the first two Wednesdays in September or February. This gives them the opportunity to experience the choir and decide whether they wish to join, and gives the choir an opportunity to determine if interested singers have the necessary skill.
If you are interested in singing with High Spirits, please contact Itti Ma at [email protected]
Term Dues (Fall Term/Spring Term): $215.00 each term. This included the workshop with our clinician, section rehearsals and a $20 annual society fee.
Subsidy for Dues
High Spirits is a non-profit society and we never turn anyone away for financial reasons. If finances are a challenge, we have several payment and subsidy options available. Please don't hesitate to ask for a subsidy if you cannot afford the full choir dues.